Tuesday, November 8, 2011

waiting...

It's Tuesday. There has been a whisper of snow in the forecast here in Minnesota. I know a good number of the mamas on this blog will be rolling their eyes and turning their heat up one more degree (or two) but no, not I. I anxiously peer out the window- at home, at school, in the car... waiting for the sky to open up and sprinkle the ground white.

I know it sounds crazy to those of you "sunbirds" who crave long sunlit days on warm, toasty beaches but I love this time of year. I already put up my Christmas tree- not because I'm so intensely fond of Christmas Day but because I am so intensely warmed by this fall/holiday season. There is so much depth to this time of year and the snow really guides me in that journey.

Awaiting the birth of our Savior (and yes, I know Jesus wasn't really born in December and that we are meshing a pagan holiday with a religious one... I know, just go with me) seems to take on more reflection in the silence of snow. I have loved how snow sucks up sound as long as I can remember. It truly does- suck it up, absorb, drown, still, silence, muffle, deafen ALL sound- I love it. I feel like my brain moves so fast all the time, taking everything in, trying to control everything, making sure all my "ducks are in a row" that sometimes, that forced quiet is the most blessed sound.

This season, fall-Thanksgiving-Christmas, is the height of family nesting for me. It's soups and stews in crockpots, fires in the fireplace, snuggly fleece pj's, hot cocoa or cider with my sweetie, an extra blanket on our bed, and slippers. It's sneaking in to cover Gemma with a warm blanket, feeling her little neck to make sure she's warm enough. It's warmth and everything that goes along with it. It's a very reflective time for me- I think about my family, my child(ren) and all the things I want to do with them in the future. I think about traditions and activities, practices and remembrances I want to instill in my family. Abe and I have talked about it but we haven't really defined what we want our "family practices" to look like in regards to the holidays. There are certain things we'd like to do and will, we're just not sure if Gemma is old enough yet. There is always the argument that if you start young, they'll never know anything different.

We'd really like to serve every holiday- either in a soup kitchen, or in some concrete, tangible way partnered with a local organization or our church to make lasting connections between gratitude, service, and celebration. My husband is especially passionate about this as he was the recipient of service like this as a child.

We've talked about how to really make the Christmas Story meaningful to our kids. How do we make Christmas really honor the beautiful gift of a Savior? I've heard so many wonderful ideas- advent calendars, nightly readings of the Christmas story from different sources- children's Bibles, books, different Bible translations; Nativity scenes. But really, the most tangible example of the reality of Christ is in the example of the parents, right? Humbling, huh?

And then there's Santa, presents, and the hoopla that goes along with the commercialized Christmas. How do we give our family the innocent joy of gifts and giving without making them greedy? How do we introduce Santa knowing that someday, we may have to break a child's heart with a grown-up truth?

As much as I love, love, love this time of year, the truth is- I love whatever forces me to reflect and focus on my family. For me, that's a forced indoor retreat. It's bundling up and cuddling together; it's eating warm food together, lighting candles that smell like Apple Pie, and reading stories under hushed covers. Truth is, I can do this any time of year, but this season inspires me.

What about you? What are your happy family traditions around this time of year? If you hate winter, Heather :), what do you do to make this season meaningful? And by season, I mean this whole Fall-Thanksgiving-Christmas season.


I really hope that you are bundled up, warm, safe, and surrounded by your loved ones this lovely time of year.

waiting for snow and all it brings...

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Sarah ~ You are such a good writer and I really enjoy reading your blog.

    I too love the holidays and all the joy and traditions that they bring. I get sad thinking of the loved ones that are not able to be with us, but the traditions and memories help ease the pain. I also look forward to the snow but not the frigid temperatures. One of my favorite parts of the season is decorating the house which is a tradition/obsession (not sure which one) which I am happy to say that I inherited from my Mom. I also enjoy the parties and get togethers with family and friends that always seem to fill up the calendar in December. I really LOVE Christmas music (102.9 rocks!) and the candle light Christmas service at church. Since Caleb is only 14 months old, Mike and I really haven’t started any traditions for our little family but I hope to start some this year.

    I hope everyone has a wonderful season!

    Cheers,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Becky....
    I love receiving Christmas cards! Especially photo cards when people have young kids. SO that's why mine have already been designed, printed and are ready for mailing labels!

    I'm not a fan of winter mostly due to poor driving conditions.

    My parents own over 100 acres filled with trees. I'd like to start a family tradition for us to pick a tree from their land while we're there for Thanksgiving. My grandpa grew Christmas trees for many years on his farm. So real trees are in my blood!

    The Season has such a build-up and I'm always sad when it comes to an end. I wish there wasn't the stress about having the house just so, getting the perfect presents, etc. I know plenty of people who celebrate a "Santa Xmas" and don't acknowledge the Christ is Christmas.

    OK, 13 month old just woke up and I need to get to bed!

    ReplyDelete