Monday, August 29, 2011

In a nutshell...

Happy Monday, Mamas!

I have so much to tell you about!

For those of you teacher mamas, welcome back to school! Yeah! or Boo! Depends on how you feel about it, I guess!

I have missed the first day of school because both Gemma and I are sick... just colds- a sinus infection for me (I hope, so that the antibiotics will help). Today, we went outside for the first time in over 48 hours and ate popsicles in the driveway. It was fun and made me just relish in the innocence of my little jewel. (for bad phone camera pictures of this picnic, check out ourwolfepack.blogspot.com)

I've had a bit of a struggle finding childcare while she's sick this week- a struggle that I believe will come again because I work full-time outside the home. It really makes me wish we could make me staying home work. Although, I do really LOVE my job and my kiddos. I just need balance. Sigh.

On a totally different note, I watched a brilliant movie that made me cry and smile called "WarDance". It's a documentary about a group of school children in Uganda who win a regional music competition and get to represent their tribe at the National Music Festival. More than that, it's a story of hope in the midst of IMMENSE suffering, unthinkable cruelty, and harrowing warfare. These children are the most resilient babies I have ever seen and I'm floored by how tiny my problems are in comparison.

I saw a side of children, in this film, that left me awestruck. In spite of horrific circumstances, they survive- more than that... they thrive. I don't know if I could be as resilient as they are. Keep in mind, this movie is not for the faint of heart- it doesn't show anything but the kids do tell their stories... and what shocking stories they are.

As a mama, I wanted nothing more than to pick up these 13 and 14 year old babies and run them away from all of this. As a citizen of the world, I was and am outraged (mostly because I know, full well that this is not the only country where this is occurring). What a fallen world we live in! What a FALLEN world! I thought of my worries, my complaints, my fears and was so thoroughly ashamed of my petty concerns.

These mamas, these daddies and their babies have looked evil dead in the eye... and still, they sing.

What a beautiful, beautiful, song it is.

I will refer to this again in next week's question- another tissue grabber, but I can't write it right now, it's going to take awhile and a will to write. Please join us next monday with an open heart, a box of kleenex and some time to write.

Today's question comes from this place of gratitude for what I have; no, that's not right... more than WHAT I have, WHO I have. I am two feet away from my husband right now, and across the hall from my girl. They are alive, they are safe. We can worship as we please, we have safe travel to and from work, we have food and clothing. Oh, my! We have so much to be thankful for. From this place of awestruck gratitude, I reevaluated how and why I parent the way I do. I want to break my parenting down into the truest, purest form. That got me thinking about what my parenting philosophy is... and that led to...

Question #5: What is your parenting philosophy, in a nutshell?

Please join the discussion! I can't wait to be blessed by your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, balance is always a struggle isn't it? And I really want to see that documentary now. Children are so resilient. They teach us so much, don't they?

    Wow, I'll have to think about my parenting philosophy. I'm so glad you asked this question. I've never really taken time to write it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them deeply and teach them about God. That is what I am trying to do for my babies. There are so many other wonderful things I want to do (curriculum, field trips, vacations, etc) but when it really comes down to it all of that doesn't matter.

    I want them to know I love them to the depth of who they are and that Jesus is their Lord, Savior, Father, Friend, Protector and Creator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen here...

    Parenting philosophy in a nutshell... very interesting thing to think about. I guess I want to try to be a great leader and guide them on a positive path. I want to be a great teacher and show them right from wrong. I want to be a great follower and support their hopes and dreams.

    I want to allow enough freedom that they have their independence and make mistakes but at the same time prepare them for how to handle what life might throw at them. I want to instill the importance of respecting others and appreciating all the little things. Most of all, have fun and see the good in life!

    I think Heather said it best with "love them deeply"... that's really the core of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it's really great to read through everyone's posts here. My general philosophy is to love who they were made to be. I learn so much about my kids, myself, and my Lord by being their Mommy. I have never known love like what I feel for my kids. It makes me pause to think that I am loved by my Father in heaven in the same way.

    ReplyDelete